North Island Secondary School offers opportunities to students to gain experience in the work place, sample trades and start apprenticeships while earning credits toward their graduation goals. See the link below for more information on these opportunities.
Youth Explore Trades Skills
– 120 hour high school course for students in grades 9 – 12
– Consists of four modules (approx. 30 hours each) that introduce students to trades careers through hands-on learning.
– May include a non-paid work experience.
Design & Drafting
Robotics & Electronics
Baking & Cooking (coming soon)
Youth Work in Trades
– Work-based component of an apprenticeship
– Students are registered with the ITA as a youth apprentice (employer sponsored) and accumulate hours towards a trade (need 480 hours)
– Dual credit program earns both secondary school graduation and hours towards trade certification
– 4 course codes available up to 16 credits
– Students eligible for $1,000 award if they meet criteria